|The pilgrimage church of St. John of Nepomuk at Zelena hora|
|Chapel of St. Margaret|
|Town Hall No. 294 is a one floor building in the north-western part of the square. It was probably built at the end of the 16th or at the beginning of the 17th century. Today's appearance of the building arises from reconstruction in the second half of the 18th century. The arches in the former gateway, and in the adjoining room in the interior, also come from that time. You can see the classicist attributes of the reconstruction. The most common part of Town Hall - a tower with a clock - was destroyed by fire in 1864 and it has never been restored. A prison with a prison warden's flat was annexed to the Town Hall in 1839. Nowadays this part has been rebuilt in a modern way. The old building of the Town Hall is used for representative purposes and for exhibitions on the ground floor.
Under the terms of renovation of the Republic Square, a new fountain by Jiri Pliestik was installed in 2014. The nine bell chimes, a gift to the town from the company ZDAS plc. was fixed on facade of the Old Town Hall in the same year. An instersting experience is the interconnection of the chimes and the fountain in the interplay of sound, light and wather, which can be enjoyed one minute before every hour from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Virtual visit of Republic Square
|Fortress No. 276 is situated near to the parish church above the Sazava river and is one of the oldest buildings in the town. The Fortress was constructed in 14th or 15th century nearby a ford over the river to the centre. First recorded owner was reeve Hanus (reeve 1446-1476). At present, it is a Late Gothic structure with a Baroque roof. The Regional Museum with an exhibition room has had its seat there.|
|The House of Moucka Family The date of construction and purpose of the building are not known. This building next to the former cemetery wall may have been used as a morgue. It is mentioned in writing for the first time in 1672 when there was a school. Rooms on the ground floor were also used as parish cellars, a classroom was on the first floor and according to Mr. Sadilek there it was provided with a built-in log framework. The school was moved to the former fortress in 1820. Then the house belonged to the Musil and Honek family of cloth dyers and in the end there lived the Moucka family of locksmiths. Since 2013 there is a permanent exposition of the Regional Museum there.|
|Parish church of St. Procopius is situated not far from the square. The existence of the church was first mentioned in 1391. It was rebuilt in Late Gothic style almost completely and was consecrated „to the God's glory and St. Procopius“ on 28th July 1560. In the interior, there is a Late Gothic sculpture of the Virgin Mary with a baby from the 2nd half of 15th century and a baroque painting of St. Procopius with a Procopius legend, which used to be placed on an old main Baroque altar. The painting was drawn by K. Katsch from Kutna Hora. New Stations of the Cross were placed in the church during the complete reconstructions in the 1970's.
Virtual visit of the interior
Virtual visit of the exterior
Virtual visit from the tower
|Chapel of St. Barbara is located a few metres to the east of the parish church. It is a simple baroque chapel built in 1729 thanks to Ferdinand Kristl, priest and Cistercian monk of Zdar. Two baroque statues of bishops in the chapel are said to have been made by a sculptural workshop of the monastery, which was led by Rehor Theny at that time. It is not attributed to Master Theny, but seems to have been made by a Prague sculptor I. F. Platzer.|
|The church of the Holy Trinity
It is probably an original graveyard or hospital Renaissance chapel reconstructed at the beginning of the 18th century with the extension of sacristy by J. B. Santini Aichl. Interior of the church is decorated with murals and there is a Baroque altar. The area around the church was used as a graveyard until 1910. At present, there is an urn grove. The church is surrounded by a part of the original wall.
|Sculptures in the town. There is a Black Plague Prayer Column from 1706 made by local sculptor Jacob Steinhubl in the Republic Square. Another column, a statue of St. John of Nepomuk, situated near to a Baroque bridge in Zdar is also one of his works. Modern sculptures include a memorial to honour soldiers who perished during WWI, a board to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Zborov in 1937 set in the first primary school in Republic Square, a tomb of a forester, writer and editor John Dolezal who died in 1934 and a memorial to honour soldiers who perished during WWII erected 1947 in a park near to the Nadrazni street are made by Zdar native John Ruzicka (1898 – 1965). A lot of sculptures are works of Julius Pelikan (1887 – 1969).|
|Previous hotel Velis No. 64 is a two-storey building in the western part of Republic Square. Its Decorative style dates back to 1906. There is Jan Hus figured on a pile with medallions of Chelcicky and Komensky, a portrait of K. Havlicek Borovsky etched into plaster and a statue of a Czech lion with broken chains.|
|Former Cistercian monastery. The monastery in Zdar nad Sazavou was reconstructed in Baroque style when Vaclav Vejmluva was an abbot of the monastery (1705 – 1738). Extensive repairs and new buildings were completed both in the area around Zdar and in the domain of the monastery during his administration. The reconstructions were made in the spirit of „Baroque Gothic“ by a significant architect of Czech Baroque style Giovanni Santini. The convent church (a parish one today) of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary was reconstructed between 1706 and 1722 in the monastery. Stables of the noble academy were newly built around 1720 and construction of the prelature started in the same time. There was an agricultural yard called “The Lyre“ built before 1734 near to the monastery.|
|The lower cemetery with three elliptic chapels was built in 1709 close to the monastery. Its triangular ground-plan was intended to symbolize the Holy Trinity. This symbolism was broken by the addition of a fourth entrance chapel in the administration of an abbot, Hennet. There is a statue of the Angel of Last Judgement by Rehor Theny in the middle of the cemetery. It was placed in the cemetery in about 1729 – 1733. There used to be some wooden sculptures in the chapels. The cemetery is said to be the oldest noted record of Santini's cooperation with abbot Vejmluva.|
|The Baroque bridge on the road from Zdar nad Sázavou was built in the days of the abbot Bernard Hennet. Chronograms on eight statues of saints provide details of their creation time. There is the year 1761 on seven of them, and 1766 on the last one (St. Methodius). The sculptor of these statues is unknown. There is a statue of St. Benedict, St. Nicholas, St. John and St. Cyril on one side of the bridge and statues of St. Bernard, St. Adalbert, St. Paul and St. Methodius on the other one.|